A real distro-hopper-stopper

 
pclinuxos-lxde-2010-beta2a

Above is the screenshot of the new PCLinuxOS with LXDE as native desktop environment. This baby is still in beta stage but compared to its predecessor, this version is almost complete. Having Firefox 3.6 with built-in flash as browser - watching videos via youtube and the likes is a breeze out-of-the-box.

The printer manager is also easy to use. Just plug-in your printer and it's automatically detected.


CompizFuzion is also out-of-the-box. So if you've got a decent graphics accelerator you'll be up and running the most advance desktop in the planet. :)

Cube with 3D, gears and transparency in action!



Take note that this OS also auto-detected my PCI tv-tuner.

I have tested few LXDE distros this past week and I am very delighted that PCLinuxOS rolled-out this beta version. BTW, here's the link  to PCLOS mirrors for Beta 2 releases.

Here's a list of some cool features of pclinuxos-lxde-2010-beta2a:
Internet: Firefox 3.6, Thunderbird 3.0.3, Pidgin 2.6.6, Xchat 2.8.6
Sound: Audacity 1.3.10-beta, LXMusic 0.4.0
Video: Imagination 2.1, MPlayer, TVTime Television Viewer
It also got the Synatic Package Manager so that installation of new applications to satisfy your needs is just a click away.

2 comments:

  1. I prefer the default KDE desktop with PCLInuxOS. I am running the beta right now and its fabulous, to say the least.

    LXDE just feel a bit too sparse for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried the KDE also. It's really an eye candy. Only drawback for me is: too many apps I don't need and I think the print manager on pclinuxos-lxde-2010-beta2a is easier to use. BTW, they're both great PCLInuxOS versions. :)

    ReplyDelete